Sunday, January 9, 2011

Way With Words

Dear Isaac,

You and I had a great day today.  I had a bunch of errands to run and you had some Christmas money to spend, so I thought it would be fun for us to go do both together.  I was a little apprehensive about going out late morning, as I knew it would mean you would miss your nap, but I took a chance anyway.  We started by going out to lunch.  Yours was chicken with some steamed broccoli and mine was a salad with shrimp and edamame.  You ate most of the shrimp on my salad and quite a bit of edamame and then took on your own food.  You did a great job of eating a lot of broccoli and chicken when you announced, "I want ice cream."  This might not be an unusual request from a normal kid, but as we know, you are anything but.  I thought maybe you saw someone who had ice cream which prompted you to want it, but after asking you, I soon found out from the neighboring table that you had been eavesdropping and they were ordering ice cream.  They did the usual parent apology, but I didn't mind since you had eaten anyway.  I was going to tell them as much, when you piped up, "It's fine!  It's fine!"  When the waitress came over, you told her, "I want ice cream sundae, please."  The ice cream arrived, and in your typical fashion you decided you'd rather eat more broccoli than ice cream.  Thanks for the dessert.

Next, we stopped to buy Eleanor some pajamas.  You helped me pick out the ones you thought she would like best and told me we definitely had to buy the ones with an elephant on it, because he was singing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star."  I'm not sure how you knew this, but you were convinced.  When we checked out, you told the cashier, "Eleanor NEEDS jammers."

Our next stop was to buy diapers for Eleanor and for you to spend some of your Christmas money.  You have been obsessed with the Toy Story movies and I thought it would be fun for you to buy a Buzz Lightyear or a Woody doll.  They were out of Buzz, but I showed you the Woody doll, which you thought was cool, until you saw a very inexpensive cash register you HAD to have.  So instead of getting the toy I thought you would want, we bought the cash register.  You also suggested a few things you thought we should get for Eleanor, like a gigantic pillow and a sippy cup that said "David".  You assured me "Eleanor like it!"  Buyer's remorse struck as soon as we got in the car, and you said, "I want Woody, I want Woody."  Lucky for you, you had plenty of Christmas money left and we had another stop to make where you could get Woody.

We made our last stop at Target where you found your beloved Woody doll and pulled his string all around the store while we got what we needed.  I did not heed your suggestion of the purple argyle socks for Daddy, only because he doesn't have anything that matches.  Of course, when we got in the car with Woody, you told me "I want Buzz Lightyear."  Nice try.

When we got home, you showed Daddy your new toys and insisted he write "Isaac" on the bottom of Woody's shoe, since Andy tagged him in the movie.  Pretty cute.

The last nugget of the day is perhaps the cutest thing you've ever said, and you've said some pretty adorable stuff.  I was tucking you in and you ran your fingers through my hair which desperately needs to be cut and told me, "You haircut beeeyooootiful, Mommy."

You're a real character.  What a way with words you have.

Love,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment