Thursday, November 25, 2010

I Don't Like It

Dear Isaac,

You finally seem to be feeling a bit better today.  No more fever, but your cough lingers on and you are getting really fed up with us making you use the nebulizer every four hours and take all of your medicines.  I can't say I blame you.  Every time I put the prednisone in the syringe to give it to you, its gross smell sends me straight back to my childhood and to memories of having to take it myself.  I remember being 4 or 5 and Grandma trying to get me to take it by mixing it in a cup of soda, thinking I would be excited to have the soda so I wouldn't mind the medicine.  It just made the medicine taste bad.

An unfortunate side effect of your illness is that you have no desire to eat anything.  Besides a few string cheeses and a bit of fruit here and there, you haven't wanted to eat at all for days.  Thanksgiving is not a good holiday for losing your appetite.  I made you a plate of all the things I cooked today - turkey, stuffed mushrooms, green beans, mashed potatoes, stuffing and poached pears - and you took one look at it and said, "I don't like it."  You ended up eating a 1/3 of a poached pear and a few bites of cookie for dinner.  Had you been feeling better, you would have gobbled up the rest of the meal.

I'm sorry you're sick, but am so thankful that we were still able to have a good day together.  Hopefully you'll be feeling well enough to go to Lancaster in the morning.  If not, don't worry, there are lots of leftovers for you to reject with "I don't like its".

Happy Thanksgiving!

Love,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment