Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Name Game

Dear Eleanor,

I have loved the name Eleanor for as long as I can remember.  People often ask if I named you after Eleanor Roosevelt, since I am a history teacher.  They ask Daddy if your brother was named after Isaac Newton since he teaches Physics.  Neither of you were named after these historical figures. 

Yesterday I took you to my school to visit with some of my students and other teachers.  A student I don't know, but recognized me, came up and oohed and aahed over you and of course, asked what your name was.  When I told her, Eleanor, she said, "I LOVE that name.  It's SO unique.  How did you come up with it?"  I couldn't think of a clever response about how my father's name was Norman and my favorite animal was an elephant on the spot, so I just told her it's a real name.  She seemed surprised.  I think she's in 11th grade, I wonder if she'll be surprised in the spring when she gets to the 20th century in history class and learns about Eleanor Roosevelt?

Love,

Mommy

1 comment:

  1. I like this elephant + Norman idea! Let's see, I like monkeys, and my dad's names is James. Monames. Jakeys?

    ReplyDelete